Wednesday, April 4, 2012

First Friends


In the seventh grade I found friends.  What a lovely surprise that was....after five years of basically walking the road alone.  We were in the "top class," and I learned that I could have fun in the classroom.

Ours was a very creative bunch.  Whenever I reflected upon my own practice as a teacher/speech therapist, I tried to remember what things were like for me when I "was at that age."  Sometimes I could make the connection, sometimes I couldn't.  But I often say to others, "I chose not to teach at the middle school level because I remember what a terror I was in the seventh grade."  I was always concerned about reaping what I had sewn.

That year Myra, Paula and I were basically inseparable.  We were in the "top class" and having barrels of fun as a group.  Our creativity was so astute that we had descriptive names for each of our teachers:  "Mr. Rubber Nose," "Ms. Same Hairstyle," "Ms. Paddle."  The creativity didn't stop there.  Members of our class took turns writing "True Romance" stories to pass around for group consumption.  That year my grades again plummeted and I remember my mom wondering if her efforts to get me in school early caused me to have such minimal success in the seventh grade.  I did not have the heart to tell her, "Mom, I know I am not doing well, ---- but I have FRIENDS this year."

I realize now that again my son's choices and mine often parallel.  I wish I had shared this story with him when he was still in junior high and high school.  You see, the thing about my seventh grade year, I did not realize that though my friends Myra and Paula were probably having as much fun as I, they had the presence of mind to get their work done also.  Eighth grade year - I lost my friends as they remained in the "top class" and I was shuffled to a second highest class.

Why can't we be born with wisdom???

No comments:

Post a Comment