Sunday, April 15, 2012

Finding My Way

Ninth grade year was one that I did not look forward to.  No longer would I have the safety of "group" trips to the cafeteria or library.  In high school we had free lunch - and we were allowed to "hang out" with our friends during that time.  Normally I did not eat lunch at school, so that hour or so of independence was something that caused inner strife for me.  I did not have the luxury of having ample friends around.  I found Lisa and Patty - two girls who were "outcasts" from the class, and tried to cling to them as "hangout" lunch buddies.  Eventually I felt like an "outcast" from the "outcasts."  I had to find a way to keep myself focused.
Enter Mrs. Page.
My ninth grade English teacher, Mrs. Page, seemed to be an unlikely friend.  She was pretty hard on students in class, but she wanted things the way she wanted them.  I had her class just before my lunch period.  One day during first semester I approached her and asked if she would allow me to just remain in her classroom during lunch.  She had lunch at the same period - and left her classroom daily.  She agreed, and would lock me in the classroom - (the door opened from the inside and remained locked on the outside).  Each day I sat at the back of the room during lunch, and placed myself in a desk that could not be viewed through the windows of the door.  There I would either do my homework or sleep until 1:00 - the fifth period of the day.  When the bell rang, I would gather my things and go on to my Algebra 1 class.  That time allowed me to focus and study as I needed to.  I did not worry about having friends --- just used that time to "get the job done."  I was always thankful to Mrs. Page for understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment