Thursday, April 5, 2012

Paying the Price

After a year of "fun" in the seventh grade, reality struck -- I had to make the greatest contribution toward my success.  Thankfully I do not believe that I ran into a teacher who tried to make it harder for me to be successful - at least not at this point.  So "buckle down" became my mantra.  I lost my beloved grandmother at the beginning of my seventh grade year.  At the beginning of the eighth grade I prayed to God and asked for three things.   1) I wanted a boyfriend who would respect my values.  I believe I used the phrase, "give me another love from which to draw since I lost my grandmother."  2)  I wanted to lose the extra weight that I had been carrying around all of my life; and 3) I wanted to be smart again.  It is strange that 37 years later I still remember the requests of a 13-year-old.  I met some teachers who left strong impressions on my life, including Ms. Tusai - one of my favorite English teachers.  She never knew just how much of an impact she had.  I remember the names of five of my 8th grade teachers (out of six?).  The rest are a blur.

Math that year was a terrible experience.  No matter how I tried, I could not grasp the concepts that this teacher was trying to communicate.  When I think of that teacher today, I see her sitting behind the desk more than anything...maybe that is why I could not grasp those concepts that year.  She made a statement to me at the end of the year that has puzzled me ever since.  It was something along the lines of, "You are a very bright young lady.  I never understood why you were in this class and not the top class."  In my mind I knew why, but I always hoped that the eighth grade  powers-that-be would see the mistake and move me to the "higher level."  It didn't happen that year.

Ninth grade year had a feel of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment